How to Support Newcastle Hospitals and Newcastle Hospitals Charity Staff
- Raise Awareness – spread the word about #RidefortheirLives and #RFTLTeamNewcastle on social media. A simple Share, Like, or Retweet can add up to a hugely successful global message!
- Join the Virtual Cycle and complete 160KM in October (we recommend you use Strava to track your KM!). Ride for their Lives are aiming to amplify their message and show the support for tackling the climate emergency with as many riders as possible taking part virtually. Their goal is to complete 1,000,000 virtual miles in October.
- Sponsor the core team of riders taking part in the challenge! All funds will be ring-fenced for green initiatives and projects at Newcastle Hospitals, helping to improve the hospital environment for staff, patients, and visitors. You can sponsor the team here. Every little will help to spur them on and will help Newcastle Hospitals make a difference locally.
Above: Back – Front: Teri, James, Mike
- Teri Bayliss, Charity Director, Newcastle Hospitals Charity
- James Dixon, Associate Director – Sustainability & Environment, Newcastle Hospitals
- Mike McKean, Consultant Paediatric Respiratory Physician, Newcastle Hospitals
What is Ride for Their Lives?
Climate change impacts us all, but is especially damaging for the next generation. Ride for Their Lives is a cycle challenge from Great Ormond Street Hospital, London – The Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow, designed to raise awareness of the climate emergency. #RFTLTeamNewcastle will be joining other UK health professionals on the ride, to help raise awareness of the devastating impact of climate change on child health.
The core group cyclists will arrive in Glasgow as COP26 starts, where they will announce the numbers of miles completed by Ride for their Lives participants around the world, speak out on air pollution, and hand over a suite of documents from the global health community calling for urgent action on the climate crisis.