A history of support
There is a long history of charitable support for the hospitals of Newcastle upon Tyne, setting a foundation for the outstanding quality of care we deliver today.
In 1886, John Fleming, a Newcastle Solicitor gave £25,000 to build a new hospital for sick children in memory of his wife, who had died in 1882.
The Fleming Memorial Hospital at Moor Edge was officially opened by Lord Armstrong on 26 September 1888. In 1988 the work of the hospital was transferred to the Fleming Wing of the Royal Victoria Infirmary and as the services and expertise became so specialist and expansive, the Great North Children’s Hospital was established.
The original Fleming Memorial Hospital building is now Peacock Hall, which was originally opened on 11 July 1906 by King Edward VII. Now home to our Newcastle Hospitals Charity the building is steeped in history which the Statue of Queen Victoria outside pays tribute to.